Wednesday, September 13, 2017

A Writing Routine

My Writing Routine

Do I have a Writing Routine? Kinda.

Do I write every day? No.

Do I think about my novel every day? Yes.

Do I work on my novel every day. Yes.

So I'm still trying to figure out my writing routine. For the first time in my life working on my novel every day when it's not the summer or the month of November.

My usual routine was in the month of November, for a writing challenge called NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) I would start a new idea on the 1st. NaNoWriMo challenged a writer to write a novel (50,000 words) in a month In the 10+  years I have entered NaNoWriMo I never won. I never had 50,000 words before the stuck of midnight on November 30. The most I had was last year (2016). It was 25,707 words.

After NaNoWriMo I would write a little bit here and there on the novel. Once summer hit I would try to get my butt in a chair in front of a computer and finish my NaNoWriMo novel. I finished two first drafts this way. But they needed a lot of work.

Last year was not a new idea but a fresh take on an idea I tried to write the year before and the year before that.

I say that the first novel I wrote taught me how to write 50,000 words, but it didn't have a plot. In fact it had a three plots. If I couldn't think of anything to write I would write in another crazy direction. It taught me that I could sit down and write the words needed.

I say the second novel taught me how to hold the plot for the whole novel. I studied Michael Hauge's The Five Key turning points of allSuccessful Screenplays the whole time I wrote that one. I had index cards laid out on my floor for each of the stages and the turning points and would decide what I would write as I came to that point in the plot.

I didn't even try to edit that novel. Maybe one day I'll return to it.

This was my writing routine before.

In the last month and half I have tried to form a better writing routine. I finished this year NaNoMoWri novel during the summer, (Really it's a long outline and really the 3rd try to write this idea) I worked beyond the point where I would have stopped on previous novels. I started re-writing. Something I tried before. It's uncharted territory for me.

What I have learned in this month and half:

1. I don't type out words every day.

2. Writing isn't always about writing. Sometimes it's about figuring out what to write next.

3. When I can't write I need to read. It's like my creative is water in a well and it's running low.

4. It's good to have a supportive writing group, like #TurtleWriters over on Twitter. I have not found my writing group in real life.

5. So far the plan to get up and write first thing is not happening.

6. First coffee and a long moment in the comfortable chair in the den.  After I fix the third coffee I'm ready to write.

7. I have known for a long time I'm not a night owl. I must go to sleep!

8. I write a little bit here and there. I'm still trying to figure out when the best time for me to write.

This is my writing routine so far. This is what I do. You might do something different. You might need to learn what best for you. That what I'm trying to do.

This could change with another book. I have read many writer who wrote that each book is different.


What's your writing routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A Writing Routine

My Writing Routine Do I have a Writing Routine? Kinda. Do I write every day? No. Do I think about my novel every day? Yes. ...