Wednesday, September 20, 2017

With Self Doubt: Am I Good Enough?

 It was suggested over on Twitter that I write about Self-Doubt. I don't know about you but for me - talk about the Mother Lobe, the thing that many things flow.

I have self doubt in:

Searching for a job.

Dating (I wouldn't call what I do, dating. Don't have a clue how to put myself out there.)

And in writing.

I mean I suffered from self-doubt since I was nine years old in third grade. You know the year that girls start whispering, also the year I noticed that this hearing loss made me different. Something I never felt with my family, but at school that year I noticed it. It started when the other girls around me whispered. It grew to the overwhelm self hate and self doubt that I wasn't good enough.

I remember telling my mother that no one in my class liked me. She, of course, went to my teacher. I remember the confuse look on my teacher's face, because it wasn't true. I built it up in my mind from my own self dislike. I mean if you're talking to a group of girls on the playground and all at once they run away because in a spit second they decided to go play elsewhere and you didn't hear the one sentence that decided that. What would you think?

By the way this is also the year I realized that my spelling and reading skills were not at the level of my classmates.

I spent two hours in the class for the hard of hearing working on those skills. This also told me I was different. But that classroom was a safe place. I wasn't different from the teenagers in that class that were also hard of hearing. I was the youngest in the class.  

I think that the year my shyness grew to point that it was painful for me to come out of my shell to talk to anyone.

See lots of self doubt.

I didn't know about introverts and extroverts. I also didn't realize that the first time I meet someone I need to "learn" how they sound, how they talk and their body language .

I know this now so I'm quiet the first time I meet someone in a group, or since I've gotten older I learned how to get people talking so I don't have to.  

Over the years I searched for the thing called self confidence. I even went to an all girls' college because on the campus tour I heard that girls who went to all girls' school had more confidence. It shocked everyone that I chose to go to an out of town college. I was that shy.

I found self confidence for a little while. Well, enough to somewhat come out of my shell. It still not easy, when it come to talking to men for one thing. Like I said I have no clue how to put myself out there.

When it come to flirting I'm clueless. I don't how to flirt. Also if I picked up the body language that a guy's interested in me. I either tell myself that I'm wrong and the guy's being nice or I freeze. I have ran before. Like ran away from the whole soccer team at the university I attended.  Yup... there is a story there, sure is.  

Also I don't have a clue how to made the internet dating work for me either.

 I have a problem of thinking I'm not good enough to be loved, not in that way. I have a strange way of thinking that another girl would be better for this guy. I don't give myself much of a chance.

The same thing would be said for searching for a job. I don't have much confidence that I can do the job well. I haven't even got the job and I'm worried I'm not good enough. I didn't do my last job very well. I didn't have a clue, and the women who worked with me were so worried I'd take their job that they didn't help me.

I didn't want their job. When I started that job I was looking into going back to school and I thought about being a minister. Yes, a female minister. I was looking into going to seminary school. By the time I got laid off from that job ten months later I was so full of self-doubt I could feel it clawing at my back. I was no longer looking into going seminary school.

A few things happened in my family that it turned out not having a job meant I could help my family. It was a relief to do something good for my family.

But I was in a place where I thought I was bad a picking what I should do. Stuck in life. (still there)

To escape the self doubt I wrote novels.

But I had self-doubt there. About my writing. I mean I would think who I'm I kidding and write anyway. I wrote because I need to write. I needed to escape.  

By the way I wrote about my doubts with my writing in a short series:




I have doubts about sharing this post with you.

I'm still searching for self-confidence.


I hope this help you realize you're not alone. 

1 comment:

Featured Post

A Writing Routine

My Writing Routine Do I have a Writing Routine? Kinda. Do I write every day? No. Do I think about my novel every day? Yes. ...