Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Writing Insecurities Series: Can I Write?


The Writing Insecurities Series

As writers we have at least one story inside of us. That story is begging to come out and exist. Some of us only write the story for ourselves but others write for an audience. For whatever reason we have to get the story out on the page.

My question is: Can I do that? Can I write the story inside me? If I can't, can I write well?

I struggled with this for the last few days. I'm working on (I think) my 4th draft of this novel. It wasn't until the 3rd try that I liked the plot of my novel. I read the 3rd draft and found I had a decent plot and liked most of the scenes I have written. But these scenes only added up to about 25,000 words and I noticed major plot holes. Like I didn't have a clear antagonist.

Despite this I knew I had a story I wanted to tell and a good structure to work with.

I have been working on putting this story in order and filled those plot holes. This week I had to write a few new scenes between scenes I had written in the 3rd draft. That when I remembered how hard it is to create fresh rare scenes. Maybe I'm more comfortable taken what I have written, and building on that to make a better scene. I struggle to get the image in my head on to the page or in this case the computer screen.

Since I struggle with putting the story into words I wonder can I really write?

I like to think I can.

Another thing I struggle with is the art of storytelling. One of my cousin and my brother are wonderful storytellers. My cousin has her audience laughing that whole time she tell her stories. My brother know how to engaged his audience the whole time.

I can't do this, not like they can.

This is another thing that make me wonder if I'm not a good storyteller, can I write well.

 I don't doubt I'm a writer. I write therefore I'm a writer but I doubt I can write well. The thing I have to keep reminding myself is there's are many quotes out there about Writing is really about the rewrite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A Writing Routine

My Writing Routine Do I have a Writing Routine? Kinda. Do I write every day? No. Do I think about my novel every day? Yes. ...