Monday, December 4, 2017

My Adventure of Rewriting My Novel Part 1

My first piece of advice is to put it aside. 

I say for 3-6 months if you can. Yes, writers who just finished your NaNoWriMo novel of 50,000 words put your precious book baby a way for 3- 6 months. 
Congratulation! You wrote 50,000 words in a 30 days! I'm telling you don't jump right into rewrite.

Personally, I think it's a quick way to hit burnout if you jump right into rewrite after finishing the first draft.

If you think you can't stand to be away from your precious for 3-6 months try a month.

I'm working on my 4th draft (I think ) of my NaNoWriMo novel from 2016. I finished the 3rd draft in October. So I put in a way for 2 months. 

The first time was 3 months, but I didn't write 50,000 words that November. It took me 3 months to finish writing it. That was my second time to try to write the same story idea. And I tried to rewrite it that July. 

Key word here is tried.

I'm not a fast writer. 

I think I've been working on this same story idea for 3 - 4 years. I happened to like what I wrote in November of 2016.


So first thing to do is to put aside that story. My advice is to work on something else. I know it will be hard but it'll be worth it.

Next post will be about what I discovered about my novel after re-reading it after 2 months. 

2 comments:

  1. I afraid you're right. I should have put my novel from this NaNoWriMo away too... But I just really want my first novel to be finished published.

    I guess i need to change a lot after some reads have read it...

    But: I'm working on a new probier already. Just couldn't stop writing ;)

    And there is a draft on my laptop which is about seven years old - i'll edit it, when I finished the current project.

    Yours,
    Tabea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about working on some of my old projects too.
    I just noticed that I noticed more of the plot holes and problems after I let the novel sit for a while. That's why I advised putting its aside.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A Writing Routine

My Writing Routine Do I have a Writing Routine? Kinda. Do I write every day? No. Do I think about my novel every day? Yes. ...